Terms and Conditions - CLTI
Our terms of business
Our terms and conditions set out below apply to all CLTI and STEP programmes. We encourage you to take the time to read and review these terms before you submit an application for or purchase a CLTI or STEP programme of study.
- STEP Certificate Series - Terms and Conditions
- STEP Certificate and Diploma in Trusts and Estates - Terms and Conditions
- STEP Certificate and Diploma in International Trust Management - Terms and Conditions
- STEP Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Private Wealth Advising - Terms and Conditions
- STEP CPD Learning - Terms and Conditions
- Certificate and Advanced Certificate in Fund Administration - Terms and Conditions
- Centenal Learning - Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions - STEP Membership
STEP prides itself on the high standards and competence of its members. Our reputation, and the reputation of our members, depends on these standards being maintained by all.
Members are represented by STEP throughout the world and, in addition, by local STEP regions where branches provide further support, benefits and services.
These are the terms and conditions that will govern your membership.
- STEP membership is governed by a Memorandum and Articles of Association, its Standing Orders, the STEP Code of Professional Conduct and all other rules, regulations and guidance (and any amendments) that may be issued by the Society from time to time. By joining STEP, you agree to abide by these, which together are referred to as the ‘STEP Rules’. These are published at www.step.org/central-governance
- All members must abide by the Code of Professional Conduct, and any supplementary codes and guidance that may apply to the jurisdiction in which you are based.
- Once your application is approved, you will be entered into our Affiliate membership category.
- Affiliate Members must comply with STEP’s marketing and advertising guidance.
- Upon applying to join STEP, you must notify STEP if you have a prior criminal conviction or have been the subject of any prior or current regulatory proceedings or disciplinary investigation.
- STEP membership is a contract under English and Welsh law. All members, irrespective of the jurisdiction in which you provide services and/or are habitually resident, are required to declare any criminal convictions or offences which if committed in England/Wales would be a criminal conviction).
- The UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 does not apply to the accountancy or legal profession, and therefore you may be required to disclose any conviction, spent or otherwise.
- It is a requirement of STEP membership to ensure appropriate professional indemnity insurance (PII) is in place; therefore applicants confirm that, to the best of your knowledge and belief, you hold appropriate PII for the work that you undertake or that, as an employee, you are appropriately indemnified by your employer for the work you perform. Furthermore, applicants understand that if you make a declaration concerning PII, which is subsequently found to be false, you will be subject to proceedings under the STEP Disciplinary Rules. Further information can be found on the STEP website.
- Members have an obligation to notify STEP within 30 days should a bankruptcy order be made against you or if you enter into a voluntary arrangement with creditors. Full details can be found in our insolvency policy. Please note applicants with an undischarged bankruptcy will not be admitted to membership.
- Members are required to undertake continuing professional development (CPD) in order to maintain your professional standing. Members agree to meet STEP’s CPD requirements and record your CPD activities. Full details of STEP’s CPD policy can be found at www.step.org/cpd
- When submitting an application for membership, individuals consent to STEP carrying out a background check as deemed necessary. The laws of England and Wales govern this agreement and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts. Applications may be considered by the STEP Membership Committee (and its representatives) to determine an applicant’s suitability for membership. Applicants agree to provide STEP with further information about the nature of any results if requested to do so. STEP undertakes background checks using the REFINITIV WORLD-CHECK ONE service to assist with determining suitability for membership. Further information can be found here. We may also contact other organisations to which applicants belong or have belonged and/or other authorities to obtain further information.
- Members agree to keep all contact details up to date and must provide an email address to enable STEP to contact you about issues pertaining to an individual’s membership. Members can update contact details and control the communications received from STEP by logging in to your Online Profile and make any amendments that may be required.
- Under the terms and conditions of membership, if there is a breach of any of the STEP Rules, disciplinary action may be taken against a member. This may result in a sanction being imposed that may affect your STEP membership and information relating to an investigation and/or sanctions may be published in accordance with our publications policy
- Membership is valid for one year and can be renewed, subject to payment of the applicable fee and agreement to these terms and conditions.
- Members are not entitled to a refund of fees upon any cancellation of the membership contract. Full details can be found in the membership rules.
In return, STEP is committed to ensuring members are supported in delivering high professional standards by providing a wide range of member benefits including:
- access to quality training and qualifications;
- access to CPD opportunities;
- access to a range of networking opportunities both locally and nationally across conferences, online forums and other events;
- actively engaging in the development of public policy in the areas which affect our members;
- protecting the use of the TEP designation and protection of the STEP brand as a demonstration of a Members professional standing
STEP and its branches will not supply an individual’s details to any third party for marketing purposes without consent. All members agree to the use of their information, as set out in STEP’s privacy notice.