This course forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management which is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.
The course is designed to develop and enhance your understanding of how companies are used as offshore asset-holding vehicles. It ensures that practitioners understand how to run a company, including the terminology used, and practices and procedures involved, and are familiar with the relevant company law rules that regulate a company and its affairs.
You will be able to
- Advise on the classification, types and uses of trusts, the factors affecting their validity and the circumstances under which they can and cannot be altered.
- Explain the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees, protectors and enforcers under local and international law.
- Understand money, bond and equity markets, financial appraisal and ratio analysis and options, derivatives and futures markets.
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of trustees in relation to investment matters under local and international legislation.
- Advise on the use of trusts in modern tax planning.
- Advise on the issues surrounding modern reserved powers legislation.
- Identify and advise on the factors affecting a client’s residence and domicile and outline the impact of these on a client’s estate planning needs.
- Analyse the conflict of laws rules (doctrine of renvoi) applicable to multi-jurisdictional trusts and advise clients when these rules may apply.
- Explain the regulatory frameworks that have developed globally to counteract fraud and money laundering.
- Carry out the ‘know your client’ checks that are required for compliance with anti-money.
- Laundering regulations in your local jurisdiction.
- Construct and interpret a set of trust accounts.
- Understand the day-to-day affairs of an offshore company including the processes of incorporation and dissolution.
The course is designed for all professionals moving into or working in financial services (specifically trusts and corporate services), who wish to develop their understanding and knowledge of this area.
Students of this course typically include:
- Trust Assistants/Officers/Administrators
- Trust Managers (Senior)
- Corporate Administrators
- Wealth Managers
- Tax Advisors
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Client Relations/Marketing/Sales
- Financial/Estate Planners
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation.
- A recognised ‘gold-standard’ professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients and professionals.
- This course is also subject to the rigorous quality assurance procedures of Alliance Manchester Business School (Alliance MBS), a school of the University of Manchester.
- Can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
- Blended delivery, written and taught by practitioners, focusing on everyday matters encountered in international trust management from creation, modern usage and administration of trusts and the provision of corporate services.
- Access to specimen examination papers and solutions to support you in your assessment preparation.
- Ability to grow your own professional network, meeting students from a range of professions providing an opportunity for networking, building relationships and sharing study tips/support as a cohort.
- Students have the opportunity to submit academic queries to a dedicated programme content team.
- Successful completion of the course will award students with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
Format, Delivery and Assessment
This Advanced Certificate forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management, combined with three additional STEP Advanced Certificates.
- Advanced Certificate in Trust Creation: Law and Practice
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice
- Advanced Certificate in Trust Administration and Accounts
- Advanced Certificate in Trustee Investment and Financial Appraisal
Each of these Advanced Certificates can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the Diploma Programme.
This course is available for study all year round, with intakes at different points throughout the year (depending on your location). The core programme is delivered through a blend of distance-learning and four virtual workshops as part of a revision-week series provided by experts in the field who possess vast amounts of professional experience and practical knowledge.
We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the duration of this course.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- access to an online learning platform that contains:
- bespoke soft copy course manual
- self-assessment material
- distance learning support
- attendance at four days of tuition
- examination fees.
Thanks to our online classroom, students can take this course from anywhere. You can select any of the dates indicated in the 'Booking and Fees' section below.
The regions listed are indicative of the locally focused content of the workshops. Where possible, we encourage students to pick the region nearest to where they are studying from, as they reflect the time zones of the teaching.
- UK & Crown Dependencies
- Caribbean & The Americas
The course is assessed by way of a three-hour closed-book written examination which comprises 25 compulsory multiple-choice questions (each worth 1 mark), followed by three 25-mark essay/problem style questions chosen from a selection of five questions. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Additional charges will apply for re-sit attempts and deferrals.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice.
Please note that all regions are indicative of time zone only. Applications from students globally are accepted onto all courses, subject to satisfying the entry criteria.
Please note all courses throughout 2021 are being delivered fully online. Please visit ‘2021 Delivery’ for further information.
Fees and Booking
Eligible Singapore-based students can now receive funding of 50% of the course fees. Visit Funding and Support for further details.
To enrol for this course, you must select your preferred course start date, and the corresponding events and location.
|Course Start Date||
Course Enquiry Form
This course covers the most up-to-date developments in the industry, introducing you to the fundamentals of international trusts, trust operations and requirements in a global and local environment.
Formerly known as the Advanced Certificate in Trust Creation: Law and Practice, this course forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management which is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.