*COVID-19: ONLINE delivery and examinations until end of 2020. More info below.*
This course forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management which is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.
The course is designed to develop and enhance your understanding of how companies are used as offshore asset-holding vehicles. It ensures that practitioners understand how to run a company, including the terminology used, and practices and procedures involved, and are familiar with the relevant company law rules that regulate a company and its affairs.
You will be able to
- Advise on the classification, types and uses of trusts, the factors affecting their validity and the circumstances under which they can and cannot be altered.
- Explain the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees, protectors and enforcers under local and international law.
- Understand money, bond and equity markets, financial appraisal and ratio analysis and options, derivatives and futures markets.
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of trustees in relation to investment matters under local and international legislation.
- Advise on the use of trusts in modern tax planning.
- Advise on the issues surrounding modern reserved powers legislation.
- Identify and advise on the factors affecting a client’s residence and domicile and outline the impact of these on a client’s estate planning needs.
- Analyse the conflict of laws rules (doctrine of renvoi) applicable to multi-jurisdictional trusts and advise clients when these rules may apply.
- Explain the regulatory frameworks that have developed globally to counteract fraud and money laundering.
- Carry out the ‘know your client’ checks that are required for compliance with anti-money.
- Laundering regulations in your local jurisdiction.
- Construct and interpret a set of trust accounts.
- Understand the day-to-day affairs of an offshore company including the processes of incorporation and dissolution.
The course is designed for all professionals moving into or working in financial services (specifically trusts and corporate services), who wish to develop their understanding and knowledge of this area.
Students of this course typically include:
- Trust Assistants/Officers/Administrators
- Trust Managers (Senior)
- Corporate Administrators
- Wealth Managers
- Tax Advisors
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Client Relations/Marketing/Sales
- Financial/Estate Planners
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation.
- A recognised ‘gold-standard’ professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients and professionals.
- This course is also subject to the rigorous quality assurance procedures of Alliance Manchester Business School (Alliance MBS), a school of the University of Manchester.
- Can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
- Blended delivery, written and taught by practitioners, focusing on everyday matters encountered in international trust management from creation, modern usage and administration of trusts and the provision of corporate services.
- Access to specimen examination papers and solutions to support you in your assessment preparation.
- Ability to grow your own professional network, meeting students from a range of professions providing an opportunity for networking, building relationships and sharing study tips/support as a cohort.
- Students have the opportunity to submit academic queries to a dedicated programme content team.
- Successful completion of the course will award students with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
Format, Delivery and Assessment
*Now Online* We have committed to delivering all courses that are taking place from July until the end of December 2020 ONLINE, in response to the situation relating to COVID-19 — including workshops, revision classes and assessments.
Watch this space to learn how we are supporting our students through the transition to the online environment.
This Advanced Certificate forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management, combined with three additional STEP Advanced Certificates.
- Advanced Certificate in Trust Creation: Law and Practice
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice
- Advanced Certificate in Trust Administration and Accounts
- Advanced Certificate in Trustee Investment and Financial Appraisal
Each of these Advanced Certificates can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the Diploma programme.
This course is available for study quarterly, with intakes beginning in March, June, September and December. Distance Learning Plus (DL+) is the alternate flexible way to study, designed exclusively for those based in a centre where the face-to-face tuition is not available, providing students with a structured and fully supported route through study.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- access to an online learning platform that contains:
- bespoke soft copy course manual
- podcasts on each module
- self-assessment material including end of module quizzes
- distance learning support
- examination fees.
Additional charges will apply for re-sit attempts and deferrals.
The course is assessed by way of a three-hour closed-book written examination which comprises 25 compulsory multiple-choice questions (each worth 1 mark), followed by three 25-mark essay/problem style questions chosen from a selection of five questions. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice.
If you are based in one of the core centres where face-to-face tuition is available or would like to travel to one of these centres, you can enrol for the course STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice.
There are no formal exemptions available for this course.
Eligible Singapore-based students can now receive funding of 50% of the course fees. Visit Funding and Support for further details.
To enrol for this course, you must select your preferred course start date, and the corresponding events and location.
|Course Start Date||