This unique, specialist Advanced Certificate is the first comprehensive mapping of the legislative, welfare, financial and practical issues surrounding the care and advice provided to vulnerable and elderly clients and their families.
Designed and delivered by an expert in the field, Caroline Bielanska, this course is divided into two parts.
Part One will take one month to complete and covers:
- Professional Conduct
- Capacity Legislation (including international elements)
- Working for Vulnerable Clients
- Adults with Mental Capacity
- Adults without Mental Capacity
Part Two takes three months to complete and covers:
- Key Processes (including instructing experts and drafting trusts)
- Obtaining State Support from NHS, Social Services and DWP
- Handling Difficult Situations (including challenging the NHS/local authorities, objecting to the registration of an LPA or EPA, dealing with safeguarding concerns and challenging families)
By the end of this course, you will be able to confidently adopt a more holistic approach to helping elderly and vulnerable clients safeguard their future, and be able to:
- Offer a specialist service differentiating you from other providers
- Streamline your processes to improve professional efficiencies
- Manage risk in a highly complex service area
- Develop business opportunities in a growing market
Delivered through our online learning platform and a three-day, face-to-face workshop for each part of the course, the final assessment is a 3,500 word assignment that needs to be completed at the end of Part Two. Please note that both parts of the programme must be taken and the assignment passed in order to gain the STEP Advanced Certificate in Advising Vulnerable Clients.
We recommend that you review the course materials prior to attending each three-day workshop. However, the majority of study will take place during and following the workshop and you should spend 4-6 hours per week in preparation for the assignment.
Successful completion of each part provides you with 30 Diploma Level credits (60 STEP Diploma Level credits overall) towards STEP membership.
This Advanced Certificate is also part of the STEP Diploma in Advising Vulnerable Clients and although the STEP Advanced Certificate in Advising Vulnerable Clients can be completed as a stand-alone qualification, completing it as part of this Diploma will award you the full 120 credits at Diploma Level.
More information on entry advice can be found in the Entry Criteria and Guidance section below.