This course covers the UK tax issues that need to be considered when advising private clients who have an international element in their affairs. This area of law has undergone significant changes in recent years.
The course deals with what a private client expert needs to know to understand the impact of UK Tax on three particular client groups: a non-UK domiciled UK resident individual; trustees, settlors and beneficiaries of a non-UK resident trust; and participators in a non-UK holding company. The aim of this course is to support delegates looking to acquire a sound understanding of these complex rules.
You will be able to
- Describe accurately the concept of domicile.
- Give guidance on a client’s residence status.
- Identify where trusts and companies are resident.
- Discuss the details of income, capital gains and inheritance taxes and their relevance and application to the international client.
- Demonstrate to international clients how they can benefit from the ‘remittance basis’.
- Identify both ‘elephant traps’ and wealth preservation opportunities in dealing with international client tax planning.
- Explain the potential benefits and pitfalls of offshore trusts and offshore holding companies for the international client and advise them upon the income, capital gains and inheritance tax consequences.
- Tax Advisors
- Trust Managers
- Wealth Managers
- Trust Assistants/Officers/Administrators
- Corporate Administrators
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Financial/Estate Planners
- Ideal for professionals who deal with non-UK domiciled clients or non-UK resident trustees, and professionals working outside of the UK who need a more detailed understanding of the tax position of their UK-connected international clients.
- Can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in Tax and Estate Planning which fulfils the education requirements of full STEP membership.
- Provides students with the ability to grow their own professional network, interact with students online from a range of professions, build relationships and share study tips/support as a cohort.
- Provides 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
Format, Delivery and Assessment
This course is available for study twice annually, with intakes beginning in January and July (and assessments taking place in May and November). The programme is delivered online with access to three virtual classrooms and will take four months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the four months prior to the examination.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- access to the online learning platform containing:
- bespoke course reading
- webinar support
- self-assessment material
- distance learning support
- three live virtual classrooms
- assessment fees.
The course is assessed by way of a three-hour closed-book written examination, based on a pre-seen case study which is released 48 hours ahead of the examination. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients.
Please note all courses until end December 2020 and throughout 2021 are being delivered fully online. Please visit ‘2021 Delivery’ for further information.
Fees and Booking
To enrol for this course, you must select your preferred course start date and the corresponding events and location.
The STEP discounted fee applies only to students with Full STEP Membership.
|Course Start Date||
Course Enquiry Form
This programme provides practitioners with the enhanced knowledge and skills required to deliver holistic advice in England and Wales relating to administering estates.
This course aims to provide practitioners with the technical knowledge and practical skills required to deliver advice in England and Wales relating to administering trusts.
This course provides practitioners with technical knowledge and practice skills in trust and estate taxation. It covers income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax as they apply to transactions that a trust and estate practitioner is likely to encounter in practice.