This course provides practitioners with technical knowledge and practice skills in trust and estate taxation. It covers income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax as they apply to transactions that a trust and estate practitioner is likely to encounter in practice.
The course will give students the knowledge and practice skills to deal with routine issues that occur in practice, providing an awareness of common issues and helping to provide more holistic and considered advice to clients.
You will be able to
- Describe the classification and types of trusts, their uses, what affects their validity, their premature cessation and under what circumstances they can and cannot be altered.
- Advise on the taxation of each trust type.
- Explain, advise and comment on the use of the trust in modern tax planning.
- Understand and interpret the legal complexities and language pertinent to trust deeds.
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees.
- Advise on the legal formalities involved in the preparation of a valid will and be alert to the pitfalls.
- Analyse the content and validity of an existing will, assess its value to a client and advise to what extent it will meet their objectives.
- Advise on the tax-effective will.
- Advise on the tax implications and legal considerations of making lifetime gifts and gifts made in contemplation of death.
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of the executor.
- Advise on the legal management of the client estate, including probate and intestacy issues, evaluation of any risks involved, deeds of variation, disclaimers and insolvency.
- Advise on taxation issues relating to the transference of private client wealth, specifically inheritance tax and capital gains tax, and how the burden of taxation can be minimised.
- Construct and interpret trust and client estate accounts.
Students of this course typically include:
- Legal and trust professionals
- Support staff and paralegals
- Accountants and banking professionals
- Charity specialists
- Tax advisors
- Independent financial advisors
- Executorship administrators
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation, moving into or already working within the trusts and estates profession.
- A recognised ‘gold-standard’ professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients and professionals.
- This course is also subject to the rigorous quality assurance procedures of Alliance Manchester Business School (Alliance MBS), a school of the University of Manchester.
- Ability to grow your own professional network, meeting students from a range of professions providing an opportunity for networking, building relationships and sharing study tips/support as a cohort.
- Students have the opportunity to submit academic queries to a dedicated programme content team.
- Blended delivery, including structured workshops designed and taught by experienced practitioners and tutors and access to an online learning platform.
- Successful completion of the course will award students with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
Format, Delivery and Assessment
This course is available for study once annually, with intakes beginning in January (and assessments taking place in May). The programme is delivered through a combination of online learning and two face-to-face workshops and will take four months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the four months prior to the examination.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- a bespoke hard copy course manual
- access to an online learning platform that contains:
- tailor-made webinars
- e-learning modules
- self-assessment material
- distance learning support
- attendance at two days of face-to-face tuition
- examination fees.
The course is assessed by way of a three-hour closed-book written examination which comprises six 20-mark questions, from which candidates must answer five. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate. Examinations take place in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Leeds.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Taxation of Trusts and Estates (England and Wales).
Please note all courses until end December 2020 are being delivered fully online.
Information surrounding our delivery model for 2021, and whether courses will continue in an online format, will be published by the end of October 2020.
As of the May 2021 sitting for the STEP Advanced Certificate in Taxation of Trusts and Estates, we will be delivering three workshops as part of this course offering.
Over recent years our students have chosen to attend the optional, extra Revision/Computations Day as part of their study journey, and after evaluating feedback, have taken the decision to incorporate this session as part of the overall offering to provide further access to valuable tuition.
The introduction of this third workshop is intended to provide all students with the opportunity to consolidate their knowledge and learning ahead of the examination with their peers and the course tutor, enabling them to work through more specimen examination questions, participate in group discussions and ask any academic queries about topics they may be struggling with. Whilst the first two workshops will continue to cover some of the core subject areas and serve as touch points to support students during their studies, the third workshop towards the end of the study period will be focused on revision of the topics and preparing all students for the final examination.
Fees and Booking
|Course Start Date||
|November 2020 Computation Days||150.00||150.00||
Course Enquiry Form
This programme provides practitioners with the enhanced knowledge and skills required to deliver holistic advice in England and Wales relating to administering estates.
This course aims to provide practitioners with the technical knowledge and practical skills required to deliver advice in England and Wales relating to administering trusts.
This course provides practitioners with the practical and technical knowledge and skills required to deliver advice in England and Wales relating to trust and estate accounting.