Course Enquiry Form
This course provides practitioners with the enhanced knowledge and skills required to deliver holistic advice in Northern Ireland relating to administering estates. This Advanced Certificate can be taken as part of the STEP Diploma.
The course enables you to improve your technical knowledge of the issues arising in estate practice, enhancing your ability to give holistic advice to your clients as a trusted advisor. It increases your understanding of the administration of estates and enables you to give practical advice on the law and procedures involved.
You will be able to
- Describe the classification and types of trusts, their uses, what affects their validity, their premature cessation and under what circumstances they can and cannot be altered.
- Advise on the taxation of each trust type.
- Explain, advise and comment on the use of the trust in modern tax planning.
- Understand and interpret the legal complexities and language pertinent to trust deeds.
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees.
- Advise on the legal formalities involved in the preparation of a valid will and be alert to the pitfalls.
- Analyse the content and validity of an existing will, assess its value to a client and advise to what extent it will meet their objectives.
- Advise on the tax-effective will.
- Advise on the tax implications and legal considerations of making lifetime gifts and gifts made in contemplation of death.
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of the executor.
- Advise on the legal management of the client estate, including probate and intestacy issues, evaluation of any risks involved, deeds of variation, disclaimers and insolvency.
- Advise on taxation issues relating to the transference of private client wealth, specifically inheritance tax and capital gains tax, and how the burden of taxation can be minimised.
- Construct and interpret trust and client estate accounts.
Students of this course typically include:
- Legal and trust professionals
- Support staff and paralegals
- Accountants and banking professionals
- Tax advisors
- Independent financial advisors
- Executorship administrators
- Successful completion of the course will award students with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation, moving into or already working within the trusts and estates profession.
- A recognised ‘gold-standard’ professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients, and professionals.
- Ability to grow your own professional network, meeting students from a range of professions providing an opportunity for networking, building relationships, and sharing study tips/support as a cohort.
- Students can submit academic queries to a dedicated programme content team.
60 Entry-Level Credits
Note: Applicants must have obtained 60 STEP Entry-Level credits to enrol onto this course or be a member of STEP. Visit STEP's Qualifications and Membership to understand how to apply.
This course is available for study twice annually, with intakes beginning in January and July (and assessments taking place in May and November). The programme is delivered fully online and will take four months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the four months prior to the examination.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- a bespoke soft copy course manual
- access to an online learning platform that contains:
- self-assessment material
- distance learning support
- examination fees.
The course is assessed by way of a five-hour open-book written examination which comprises six 20-mark questions, from which candidates must answer five. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Please note all courses are delivered fully online.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Administration of Estates (Northern Ireland).
Students interested in enrolling onto this Advanced Certificate for an intake in 2024 will need to complete the Course Enquiry section to register their interest and receive information on the next available dates.
Please follow the enquiry section of this page to register your details and find out more.
Get in touch...
To discuss your options, or speak to a member of the Admissions Team, please get in touch.